Shared ownership housing benefit may apply to different elements of your shared ownership.
You may not be able to claim any housing benefit if any of the below apply though:
- are a full-time student but there are exceptions
- don’t meet immigration and residence conditions
- live with a close family member who you pay rent to
- are supported by social services as a care leaver while you're under 18
- have savings above £16,000 - unless you get pension credit guarantee
The elements of which shared ownership housing benefits or benefits apply to include:
- Mortgage interest
In the case of your mortgage, you may be able to claim support for mortgage interest as a benefit on your mortgage. You can also claim help for your mortgage through Pension Credit, Income Support, income-based Jobseeker's Allowance, income-related Employment and Support Allowance or Universal Credit.
You can then use housing Benefit or Universal Credit to pay for the rental element in the same way as for fully rented tenancies, and you may also be able to claim for eligible service charges.